July 6, 2007

Blog Meeting 2 - 27/09/2006 - We started posting

I met the kids for the second time and distributed folders. This way they could keep their material (guideline worksheets) safe. I provided them with a username, password and simple commands that they would need to start posting. We also talked about Internet ethics, that is, username and password is something they couldn't share with others.
I asked them the following question:

  • Do you think you can post only by reading the worksheet instructions? Without my instructions?
Since we only have two computers at the Library (that are quite old, I would say), we decided to share the computer and have each person type some sentences of their book reviews. This way, everyone would have a chance of using the computer. (increase motivation!)
They chose the book reviews they wanted to post and started posting. They also decided on some standards they would like to use (Post subject = tittle of the book)
My views:
Kids had different computer abilities. Some of them were more digital literate than others. They learned the commands that were necessary to post and used them collaboratively. They shared their knowledge and learned together.
Follow-up work: They had to get into the blog during the week and continue typing theis posts.
Possible problems they may face: Time constraints - kids do not have computer at home, they use the library computer.
I recorded the meeting using my MP3. Recording is good but it's only audio recording.
I also recorded some parts using my Palmtop camera but I have to hold it to record and I can't do both things, record and interact...

No comments: